Looking for a Healthy Halloween treat?! How about these adorable Jack-O-Lantern stuffed peppers!!!!
What you’ll need:
1-2 Orange Bell Peppers per person
Brown Rice or Quinoa
Red and Green Bell Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers* (if you like a little kick)
1) Pre-heat the broiler on your oven to high. Cut the tops off the orange bell peppers, clean out the seeds on the inside, and carve a Jack-o-Lantern face into the pepper.
2) Lightly coat the peppers and pepper tops with olive or canola oil. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Watch them closely – you want them to brown slightly and soften, without burning.
3) Turn the oven down to 400*.
4) Prepare rice or quinoa according the package directions.
5) Dice red and green bell peppers, onion, jalapeno, and tomatoes.
6) Saute rice or quinoa with the veggies, and add seasoning as desired.
7) Stuff the peppers with the sautéed mixture and top with cheese. Place filled peppers (with pepper tops on the side to warm) in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until cheddar cheese is melted.
8) Remove from oven and carefully return pepper tops to stuffed peppers, and Serve! You can serve with a side of salsa and plain, low-fat Greek yogurt (a great replacement for sour cream!)